June 24, 2011 - July 18, 2011
Friday, June 24, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida
Because so much of the wiring is dependant
upon my inventing and constructing various
devices to facilitate the systems, each step
requires more time than if I were simply
assembling a ready-made utility. Add to that
the need to be sure everything is more than a
little robust - like the rest of the boat - and able
to endure hard service in a hostile
environment. One last hindrance is the
placement of the panel and the difficulty of
working inside it. I did this deliberately when
laying out the interior of the boat and knew this
day - or month - would come. Once completed,
the panel will serve beautifully. One device I've
often thought about including in the panel is a
system of little LED's indicating powered
devices. If I ever do it, all LED's will be led to a
ground buss able to be disconnected with a
single switch so I can sleep at night. All LED's
will be red so as to prevent night blinding when
traveling after dark, yet provide light below so I
can go in and out without falling on my face.
Scott came back early yesterday and hooked up the gauges to the reefer again. The system was not low on freon - it was too high.
When he left me alone with it the day before, he told me such a such a pressure should be around 30 PSI or just below. He never
told me a properly pressurized system might also display extremely low pressure during the pumping cycle. When the pressure
went low, I added a little more freon. Too much, I would have to say. I'm seeing this for the first time and there is a learning
curve. Right now, the reefer is holding temps in the low 30's - like 32 to 34, at a very low setting - like 3 or 4. I'm watching and
seeing what might need adjustment. I think it might still be a bit over-charged. I just checked: at 4, it's still holding 32 degrees F.
I turned it down to 3 and will wait and see what that produces. I don't want stuff freezing in there if it's not supposed to. Still, it's
pretty impressive.
It seems Scott's gauges are leaking and leaving them connected all day resulted in air being leaked into the system. One side of
the system goes into negative pressure during operation and with a leaking gauge connected, it allowed air to be drawn in,
compromising the operation. I will borrow his vacuum pump again and re-evacuate the system, then start with a fresh charge
and remove the gauges immediately. If the system shows signs of over charge, I can bleed out a little at a time until it's right.

Many of the circuits are connected and the AC Gauges are connected and tested. I have a minor issue with the circuit breaker
labeling, but that will soon be sorted out. I have accidentally swapped the position of the Shore Power and Inverter main circuit
breakers and will simply make new labels rather than change out the wiring. There will also be a TV breaker instead of a Cockpit
AC breaker. The only thing is, I hope I saved the printout sheet somewhere so I can modify it and print it easily.
Saturday, June 25, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

I borrowed the vacuum pump from Scott and drew down the reefer cold system again. It did much better this time, getting all the
way down to -30. -26 was the previous low. I charged it up and turned it on and will continue adding freon as it needs it, going
more by the performance that anything else.
The reefer is already at 34 degrees and running fine. It is set on '4' and I'll give it some soak time, then check the temp before
dropping it to '3'.

The reefer looked great and I dropped the thermostat to '3' at about 4 PM. For the rest of the day, it held the inside temp at 35
degrees F. At 8 PM, the reefer temp was back down to 32 degrees, so I dropped the thermostat to just under '3' to see how it
would look in the morning.
Sunday, June 26, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

The reefer temp this morning was 50 degrees. I barely nudged the thermostat back to '3' and a relay clicked in the compressor. A
slow and detailed inspection of the entire system with Scott's leak sniffer did not reveal even the tiniest leak. I don't know what's
going on. The box is cooling down again. Maybe there is a dead spot or something on the thermostat. It's brand new. I have to
give it more time.

I worked on the electrics and reefer and had mixed results. The wiring is going well, with only 3 circuits left to complete on the
AC side, but the reefer is not doing as well. Scott has been working on it with me. There does not appear to be any leaks, yet the
system is not getting down to the temperatures it originally did.
Monday, June 27, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

The reefer is still running this morning and the temp is holding around 38 degrees. Something told me to watch it for a while,
though, and I discovered it was operating in a dysfunctional protocol. It would cycle off, and after a while, try to restart. The red
LED would flash 3 times however, indicating a blockage or stuck compressor rotor. Scott says this is caused by a high pressure
differential on either side of the compressor. After a short time trying to start, it would blink off and time out for a while. After
several of these cycles, the compressor started properly and ran through a cooling cycle.

Suspicious of low voltage - the entire 12 volt system is running on the three 8D starting batteries and only being charged by the
solar array - I checked the voltage first, then the two fuses on the compressor. All I did was to wiggle them. One sparked a little
and the compressor started right up. I worked the fuses back and forth some, cleaning up the contacts, and the system seems to
operating right now. The temperature is dropping and it is presently cycling properly. I just dropped the thermostat from '7' to '4'
to see what happens.

I shut down the reefer and pulled the 2 fuses - one 15 amp and one 5 amp - both were completed covered with corrosion on their
contact surfaces. Once scraped clean, they were re-installed and worked a little to rub off whatever corrosion is on the interior
contacts. I have to come up with a way to clean those as much as possible.

After allowing the system to sit for an hour or so, I hooked up Scott's gauges and checked the pressure. It was sitting at 60 on
both sides, so I connected the freon and brought it up to 70. The gauges were removed and the system fired up to be sure it's not
now over-pressured. I have absolutely no idea what static pressure is called for in these systems.
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

The reefer was turned off at night to prevent running the batteries down (there is not a shore power battery charger running
right now) and turned on again this morning. It seems to be working much better now. I'll do as Scott suggested and turn it off
again this afternoon and check the pressures at least once more.
Work goes on with the panel and wiring. I ran what I hope will be the last three big cables. There will be one more (at least)
small cable (the inside/outside fuel tank level system), but I'll do that one later. Oh, yeah, that's right - I'll have one small cable
from the computer to the audio input switch system in the electrical panel. This will let me get rid of the computer speakers and
run computer sound through the four big stereo speakers mounted in the cabin. 'Big' in noise - 400 watts each - not so big in
dimension - 6.5 inches. I can also route the TV and AM/FM radio and CD player through them, and might even include a switch
to channel either of the VHF marine radios through. The speakers on those radios just stink and my old, damaged ears can hardly
understand the mindless babbling of other boaters or drunk bridge tenders. With this new amp and speaker system I'll be able to
misunderstand all this tripe at deafening volumes. I can't wait.

Above, the panels finally stay shut with the sweet new turn latch I whipped out this morning. Someday I'll pull the latch off and
take out my little Dremel and carve a fantastic shape, inlaid with intricate . . . . . . . . . Yeah, right. You wait for that and I'll start
fabricating reasons why I haven't done it. I've got ten minutes into it and that's all it'll ever see. Perfect.
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

Scott gave me some scraps of small copper tubing yesterday and I am experimenting with it to replace the troublesome and
overly complex AC power buss I've concocted to arm the hot side of the circuit breakers. It needs to be heavier and simpler to
avoid bursting into flame at the worst possible time.
As the wiring progresses, small - and sometimes difficult - side issues rear their heads and demand attention. Here's a
progression: with almost every last cable run, the dangling wires in the fuel tank holds and the engine room need to be
cable-tied. Well, might as well run the four individual conductors for the inside/outside fuel level switch, or I'll have to tie the
cables twice. Running the wires is now becoming increasingly difficult as the wire bundles are about filling the bulkhead
penetrations and access to said holes is tough at best. When the 4 wires are run, I have to sigh heavily and force myself to
address the 'bulging instrument panel' issue. For some reason, it is pushed away from the bulkhead on one corner. Fine. Off it
comes - completely - including the 12 wires connected to the terminal strip.

When the panel is removed, I'm genuinely surprised to see an 1/8 thick, rock hard pad of white aluminum oxide. The panel is
grounding to the wooden bulkhead at this one corner and dissolving so fast it has lifted away. Good grief. After grinding the panel
clean and removing all old sealer and contaminates, I drilled the screw holes slightly bigger, applied some silicone seal and
re-installed the panel - and all the wires.

Now I went back and cable-tied all the wire bundles and straightened out the depth sounder cable and tied it up as well. All 4 of
the fuel gauge switching wires were installed, intercepting the sender/gauge connection and allowing the switch in the electrical
panel to select which gauges would be active.
Thursday, June 30, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida
To the left is the new method of 'bussing' the power to
the circuit breaker banks. I just completed it and think
it will work great. All this door needs now is the safety
Friday, July 1, 2011 - Seafood Shack
Marina - Cortez, Florida

Plenty got done inside the boat yesterday and I've
started early today. Part of yesterdays work included
the sorting out and beginning of the DVD shelf shown
below. Some years ago realized I had 2 speed squares
and took a good look at them. Complex and innovative,
they seemed perfect candidates for the one-day shelf
I'm building now. The thing was - at the time - one
speed square was much heavier than the other, so I
traded RJ the thin one for a heavier one. They are both
heavy now and secured to the bulkhead with 5 screws
The finish on the two speed squares will be a spray gloss black to go with the electronics. Anything else might obliterate the
details and ruin the effect. Those screws are 1 5/8 inches at a 45 degree angle. They feel secure. They will get a dab of the black
once they're re-installed. Final finish on the shelf is not yet determined. It depends on how it looks when the cutting is done -
either paint or varnish. How it will be attached is another issue not yet decided. I may lash it.
Saturday, July 2, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

Work on the boat and the computer is going on all day every day. Rain outside has no effect and things are going well.
The shelf is cut down as far as I felt I could go. Both corners are rounded because I smacked my head against the square corner
while stringing the wires with the cable clips. The painting of the brackets will have to wait and I'm still working on a method of
securing the shelf to them. It'll come to me while working on something else, I'm sure.
Sometimes you just have to finally do something to get rid of a single item you've been moving back and forth for a year. While
in Marathon, I came across a thin strip of scrap teak in the trash. A sliver sliced from the edge of an over-sized door. I took it back
to Falcon because it seemed to me it was the perfect size to make the two side strips of trim the main saloon overhead hatch was
waiting for. Just as I was about to move it AGAIN this morning, I just made the strips and installed them instead. Proof is above

The piece of thin Plexiglass Espin gave me with a ton of other stuff got put to use as the safety shield for the back of the AC door.
Laying it in place showed it to be exactly the right width, so I went straight at the project and finished it a few minutes ago. I
included a shot of the, as yet untouched, back of the DC door, soon to be started. I just have some unfinished AC business to
complete first.
Espin gave me the shelf when he cleaned out his Cortez storage locker. I'll remove the trim, as there is not enough to complete
the job, and replace it later with some of the plastic stuff being used around the interior. The shelf started as big as I could
reasonably make it and will be whittled down to as small as possible. It's easier to take some off than add some on.
Sunday, July 3, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

The water heater keeps clicking off every three or four minutes. It responds to a punch in the side, clicking back on again, but
quickly repeats its bad behavior. I think the thermostat might be corroded, like the fuses on the reefer compressor were. I'll have
to spend some time sorting it out. I'm not above tearing the thing apart and rebuilding it. There has always been something
flakey about it. When I first started using it after installation, it just barely got the water warm. I'll put a cure on that, for sure.
The water heater has begun responding to being thumped and having the switch
operated about 30 times. I have hot water at the sink!

Much time and energy was spent yesterday converting the desk from extension
cords and power strips to the AC panel above and to the back, now powered
through the AC distribution section of the electrical panel. My first efforts were
cobby and messy, but by this morning I had it sorted out nicely. I did have to
resort to one of the small power strips for the three AC to DC converters used on
the scanner and both external hard drives.

The desktop is still a cluttered mess, but that will soon be a thing of the past.

Once again I just 'started' this morning without giving much thought to what I
was starting or why. It seems to be a good method because I'm getting a lot done
and have no problem switching from job to job. I was about to secure the DVD
player shelf and decided to Scotchbrite it and try a coat of Polyurethane on it. While I was at it, the two overhead strips I did
yesterday got coated and the head door. There are other plans for the head door in the future, but for now a coat of Poly helps a
The shelf will be one of the more complex coloring items in the boat. The top is varnish (poly - whatever), the bottom will be
Sandcastle (same as the walls - to better display the black speed squares), and the edges will be gloss black, like the speed
squares. It seems busy, but I'm sure it will look good.

I blasted the poly onto the overhead strips without taking time to tape off the headliner, so the sharp eye can see the edges were
not coated. Another chore for another day, but nothing worth slowing down for today.
The desk looks a touch better with the wires organized a little, but the
pile of crap on it makes it hard to tell. The door will need at least one
more coat of poly and the huge white bar across the top is screaming
'PAINT ME'. Later, dude, hold it down.

Randy is using Geoff's Hooka to do his boat. Okay, yes, it's my Hooka
now, but still. I've stopped calling the door on Falcon 'the head door', as if there were several and you needed to know which one
I meant. From now in, it is 'the door'. It got splashed with Kilz primer a year or so ago and still shows it. All to be fixed later. My
banks website is crawling today. It took about half an hour to get the information I wanted. The money for Geoff's Hooka was
still in the account. Worried he might not have received the check yet, I gave him a call and talked to him for a few minutes. He
does have the check, just hasn't deposited it yet.

I tore apart the boat searching for all the 'possibles' in fasteners and resources to get the shelf attached to the speed squares.
Below are a couple of shots of the all contestants making the final cut.
It never occurred to me to take pictures of the miscellaneous crap until after the job was completed, so naturally, the items I
selected are not in the top photos, only the ones below, where they are cut, drilled, deburred and installed. The brackets and
angles will be painted as one piece.
The shelf is all installed and rock solid. The brackets and
mounting are small, clean and, in my opinion,
appropriate to the boat. There is still a lot to do inside
Falcon, but I am finally rid of the DVD player on the foot
of the bed. I cannot tell you how many times I was
awakened by the opening disc tray after touching the
'eject' button in my sleep.

Supper on Black Dog with Scott, Pam and Libby was
great. Small cheeseburgers and other stuff. Excellent.

A nasty little front built up and rolled through between
8:30 and 9:30, complete with high winds and
downpours. Thankfully, it passed just as the fireworks
began. The fireworks were good. Especially good because
they were not long.

The shelf looks great and I even got to watch golf as I
completed it.
Monday, July 4, 2011 - Independence Day - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida
I really have to get some of this last construction stuff completed today. The weather is looking like it will allow me to cut wood
out on the dock, and that's exactly what I should be doing. The last three AC outlet panels need to be cut, assembled, wired and
installed. The shelves beneath the cook top need to be done and the hanging locker between the old cook top and the aft
bulkhead needs to be started, if not finished. One last thing waiting is the bolts for the companionway steps and the basic
structures to enclose the engine room. I have no idea how to get going, so I'll just start and tell you what I did later.
Here in the land of cascading Domino's, we roll with the punches or become ugly. It's too late to become any uglier, so I've
learned to roll. Above left, the outlet plates for both fore and aft galley areas and the head are ready to get the boxes and be wired.
Unfortunately, the under deck overhead in the head - the area above the shelf for the water maker - needs to get covered with the
padded headliner vinyl before the outlet plate can be mounted. I'll be doing that today.

Meanwhile, it is now 2 PM and the outlet plates are coming along fine. The one for the forward galley is wired and installed and
only needs 3 wires connected to be finished. Outside is now overcast and thunder is rocking through the area. I expect rain soon.
Randy cleaned my prop and engine raw water inlet and ran down part of the side of the boat. I started the engine and tried the
prop and it works fine. In 28 days I'll be on my way.

It's 5 PM and the headliner is in the head and all the outlet plates are mounted. There is finishing to do on all four items, but it
has already been a long, hot day.
Tuesday, July 5, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

During a news brief on TV yesterday, I got the idea to blast to the other coast on Friday morning - armed with the camera and
Cheetos - to watch the last Space Shuttle launch. At the time, I was having apple pie and ice cream with Don and Barb and could
see they had no interest in the trip, having recently seen a launch. A little later, I suggested the idea to Scott and the girls - the
fact that I have no transportation obviously inspires the need for other people, though I would do the same if I had my own
stretch limo with a driver and free gas - and they agreed it would be a good idea, weather permitting. We will be watching the
weather situation intently from now until the launch is over.
The work day began with sanding the door down again - not so much as to remove all traces of the white, but enough for me to
be satisfied it would look 'OK' for a while - and blasting a heavy coat of the Poly on it. I also did the edges of the overhead strips I
put up a couple of days ago and put a second coat on the faces. Then I slapped the lid back on the can of Poly and splashed little
drops of the crap all over my 2 monitors. Didn't notice until it was too late to get it all off.
Wednesday, July 6, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

The final details on the last 3 outlet panels are have run and hidden in the bilge and I can't find them. At least, that's my story
and I'm sticking to it. The thing is, I SEEMED to run around and do a lot yesterday, but not a lot got done. I'll do better today, I'm
sure. I have plenty of food now, the reefer is running fine and the new drinking bottle is helping me stay hydrated. I have a
problem drinking enough water during the day. I tend not to do it and end up dehydrated. It's been a problem my whole life and I
don't get it. I just don't get thirsty like I should.
I have got to get these AC circuits completed today and get the door back in the boat and mounted. Having to do the last
connections in place is difficult, but it results in less loose cabling to make trouble later on. The boat is a mess. Everything is
everywhere - once again - and I'm stepping over things on the floor. The mess on the shelf in the head is the disassembled water
maker. I'll do something about that some time down the road when everything else is up and running and the boat is done and
it's the last thing on the list. In other words - don't hold your breath, but I haven't considered NOT doing it.

Any day now I'll start coating all the exposed wood with Kilz in preparation for a nice, clean painting session destined to make
the entire inside look much better. I'll need to stop into Kmart and get 2 more outlet plates. I realize having 14 outlets in a small
boat seems extreme, but only having one is just plain ridiculous. My theory is to have one wherever I think I might someday
need one. Besides, it's my boat so leave me alone.
The overhead area above the old stove location is that 1/2" concrete panel I got from Randy. Originally, it was a good idea. Now, it
needs a coat of Sandcastle to blend in a little better. The wiring here still needs some tidying up and finishing, and the entire area
is in need of cabinetry and finishing. What a mess.
The $1 black spray paint worked just fine. I was a little less patient than I might have been and assembled and installed the shelf
before the paint was completely dry. Consequently, there are minor black smudges on the bottom of the newly painted shelf. No
big deal - I only put one coat of paint on the bottom and will touch it up later. Meanwhile, the shelf is completed, in a way, and I
can move forward on other stuff.
Saving an old B&G rubber junction box for 10 years finally paid off today as I used it to consolidate the wiring for the TV section.
I cut all 4 power cords off - what cubes I have - and crimped on ring connectors and wired them all to the TV circuit breaker line.
The sound transfer cable is also connected in this box. It will transfer the TV sound to the 4 cabin speakers.

The last wire dangling is the DC power for the antenna amplifier. I will mount one of the remaining Caframo fans beneath the
shelf to help cool the bunk at night. My last wiring at the shelf will be to connect the Bunk DC to these items.
Thursday, July 7, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida
The final connections on each of the three last outlet panels are
just being a huge pain in the ass. I have the hardest one just
about complete, but keep taking breaks and working on other

The TV shelf is done. In the process, I discovered the outlets over
the bunk hadn't been wired and finished them. A second
revelation was the forward starboard speaker was connected to
the Head DC cable, so it got corrected. The two berth DC fans got
reworked and properly mounted, and this required more effort
than anticipated. To minimize vibration and rattling, they had to
be removed, tightened and adjusted about twice each, and I'm
still not sure the true solution is in place. I might have to
fabricate some sort of rigid sound deadening mount.

Anyway, the interior is coming along nicely and details like the
mounts can be addressed later.
Friday, July 8, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

I got some work done in the boat. The worst of the outlet panels is done.
Sunday, July 10, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

The fan presently mounted to the bottom of the DVD player shelf will have to be moved. It causes a distinct humming on the
opposite side of the bulkhead and high static interference with the TV. The new clock is now moved from the forward bulkhead
in the main saloon to the aft, providing a place for the third and final Caframo fan to be mounted over the desk chair.
Monday, July 11, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

The fan got moved yesterday, but there still seems to be considerable interference in the TV, but only on a few stations and not
all the time. It's odd, but not something I'm very concerned about. I need to shake off the doldrums and get back up to speed.

I've gathered up the long extension that doubled for my shore power while completing the AC circuitry and now run only the
single 30 Amp shore power cord. The water tanks are filled and the second of 3 outlet panels is completed. The hot water is
working great and so is the ice box.
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida
Work inside the boat is coming along. T
Try as I might, I can find no good reason to include more AC outlets. The last panel - seen in these photos - is wired in and lacks
only two more wall plates (KMart). The wires will now be tied and clamped in place and the final wood work will be done on the
structure. I wish I could give a hint as to what it will be, but I won't know until I inventory what materials I have left and decide
how to best use them. Screw holes in the countertop will be filled with thickened epoxy a nd sanded smooth, then primer and
green will finish it. I'll try to use a sheet of stainless steel to protect the countertop beneath the stove. It may take some doing.
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

I stopped and went right to work on the 'dryer' pump for the bilge. I've been 'holding onto' 3 old pumps to make one good one of
and have just completed the job. The flow through the 2 layers of no-see-um netting on the bottom of the pickup tube is too
restrictive and I'll have to dial back a bit on it.
This bilge dryer pump will be changed out to one of the other bottom sections. They are in much better shape. I tried this smaller
one to check why the output seemed low on the other. For a while it appeared to be related to the expansion buffer - an air filled
rubber bladder installed in the lower chamber - but it seems the fine screening is just much too restrictive. One much better
feature on these pumps, versus the old one, is the much larger lower toothed wheel. A smaller wheel means higher volume with
more motor effort - something I never liked on the old pump. With the larger gear, volume is about half as much, but the pump
works much easier.

The counter top got sanded and filled with thickened epoxy. Later in the afternoon, after helping Chris get his boat out to the
anchorage, I sanded the countertop again and primed it.
Always willing to do anything to prevent having to put a small amount of paint back in the can, I primed the new cabinets in the
forward galley, the head, and the front of the bunk. Still without the slightest idea how I will someday decorate the bolts holding
everything shut, I wasted no time slobbering varying amounts of paint on them. Someday I may replace them with much better
items, all chromed and polished, or cast stainless steel things.
Thursday, July 14, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

First order of work this morning was to cut and install the second piece of stainless countertop in the aft galley. The stainless
might run out just before the job is done. It'll be close. I WILL call the job 'done' no matter what. I have other things to do, and
next on the list is to finalize and connect the dryer pump and toss out the scraps from that job.
Once all the stainless is done, the uncovered sections of the countertop will be painted the Patio Green used on the sole. A little
at a time, everything is coming along. Notice the high-tech clamps to secure the stainless. The adhesive is generic liquid nails, the
same as I used on the backsplash. The last scrap of stainless is sitting on the counter.
The dryer pump is now complete. I used the small inlet strainer, once connected to the Adler-Barbour water cooling pump, in
line with the bilge pickup tube to catch debris and protect the sensitive valves in the pump. This leaves the bottom of the tube
open and the pump works excellent. It is now wired to the original wires I ran and is ready to be connected in the electrical panel.

I mounted the engine cooling system expansion tank outside the engine room and ran the tube through the bulkhead. You might
also notice the super duper high-tech new hangers for the windlass remote switch. Yes, I'll do something better, later.
Friday, July 15, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida
The last of the stainless is cut and glued down to the cook top area. Once it really cures up solid, I'll polish it and install the stove.
It's funny how the top of the reefer seems to be constantly clear and easy to get into, now that it's full of fresh food.
Saturday, July 16, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida

The stainless on the countertop is cured enough for me to clean it up, polish it some, drill the holes to mount the stove, and
move on.
I used all but a couple of thumb-nail size scraps of the stainless
sheet Espin gave me and two small voids resulted. One will not
show at all and I'll think of something to do in the visible spot
that will almost make it look not like a goiter.

The 10/3 heavy cable to power up the water maker got run
yesterday and I did a minor repair on the cable run bracket after
tearing it loose while trying to force the big cable into it. The
cable is in it now.
The new Kilz primer I got dries to re-coat in an hour, but the
green patio paint will have to wait until tomorrow. When the
green is completely dry, I'll finish hanging the wires and build
the little hanging locker - which will be open and not a 'locker' at
all - between the counter and the aft bulkhead.

The companionway ladder is now secured with deadbolts at the
bottom and large hooks at the top. Not quite sure how to enclose
the engine room, but the answer will come once I start on it.
Sunday, July 17, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida
A little bit of slobber on the back splash and bulkhead needs to be
cleaned up, but the aft galley countertop is about set for now. Work
has already started on the hanging locker and I have the molding
for the edge of the cooktop section ready to be installed. There is
still the matter of the shelves below and the hatch for the pots and
pans locker, but everything is coming along.

I will soon need to get the electrical work done for the GPS and
VHF re-locates in the cockpit.

It is 10 Am and the documentation numbers are finally installed
again. The wires are almost done over the aft counter. There are a
number of big things I should get done soon. Maybe today I'll jump
in the water and scrape the hull. I shouldn't wait until the last
minute - it might really suck. The new cockpit wires and GPS
mounting, cleaning the boat and stowing stuff. Scraping the dinghy
bottom. Just straight up preparing for the trip to Panama City.
It might seem like these other things I'm working on have nothing to do with the trip, but they have everything to do with the
end of the trip. In Panama City, I will be dedicating my time to the writing and publishing. The boat will have to be considered
'done', excluding regular maintenance, and boat work will be suspended. There may be a few odd jobs to complete, like running
the propane line and electric solenoid, and having the two 10 pound tanks upgraded to the new valves, but all this major work is
off the roster after this.

The drooping wires in this picture are now up and secured. I got the last 2 outlet wall plates and will install them after the brown
has been touched up and the plates are painted Sandcastle.
A long neglected area of the aft bunk bulkhead finally got a smear of a new kind of spackle that goes on pink and dries white. It
will be sanded and painted today. Before the day is out, I will have used all three colors and be done painting.
A section of the flat molding I got in Marathon, and have been
carrying around the boat ever since, required only the removal
of 2" and the taper of one end to provide a perfect fit for the
edge of the newly finished cooktop. It will have the adhesive
trimmed and get a coat of the brown later today. It's only 11:30
AM. I should think about lunch in a little while.

Because I am all over the place today and getting so much done,
I set up the Hooka and dove on the boat. Without weights, I
had difficulty staying down and the breathing is something I
will have to adjust to. The water clarity is extremely poor today
and the mask I have was not working well at all. It did keep the
water out, but I didn't spit in it and it fogged up on me. All in
all, I couldn't see for anything and couldn't position myself at
all. I did change the prop zinc with little trouble and tried out
the variety of scrapers I brought down, settling on the one I will
use in the future. Next time I'll lay out the hose better so as not
to come up all tangled in the coils, and the compressor does
have to be set all the way up to work well. I should wear long Levi's if I'm going to play around the pilings, as I scraped my leg
just once and have a series of scratches on it. I'll watch it closely - these kinds of injuries like to infect. I should probably get
some antibiotic cream from someone on the dock, just to be safe. This is what killed Paul Jackson. He scraped his leg on a piling
and let it become septic, then gangrenous. They saved the leg, but lost the man in the process. I'm not sure they were quite right
in their priorities.
Monday, July 18, 2011 - Seafood Shack Marina - Cortez, Florida
The ugly wall at the foot of the bunk is now painted and looks fine. I also got all the sanding and painting done in the Aft Galley.
It's all still dusty and in need of a good washing, but I'll take care of that when the paint is at least a day dry. I have issues I need
to address in the engine room, cockpit, and starboard fuel tank locker. I will get the construction of the shelves beneath the
cooktop done first, but time is drawing near for me to resolve cruising items.