October 7, 2010 - October 25, 2010
Thursday, October 7, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
It is now 4:35 PM and it's been a long day, but a good one. I started out
taking down the TV again and all the other stuff, wrapping up the computer
and shifting everything this way and that, then spackling. At first it was just
a bit here and a bit there, then it became the entire head, and some on the opposite side of the bulkhead I'm working on. I'm
going to need some more spackling compound soon, but I'm getting good at it.

After I cleaned all the tools again, I started sanding. Man! Whatdust! But it did sand easy and the job didn't take too long. I had
the foot of the mattress propped up so I could get the bulkhead all the way down. Once the dust settled, I started painting again,
first the lighter color, then a coat of the light brown on the compression post - all the way around.
I searched the entire site for a shot somewhere, anywhere, of that bulkhead before it was refinished. Unfortunately, I don't have
a half decent shot of it anywhere. It is a huge difference. The best I could do was the head of the bunk bulkhead, which is not
nearly as bad as the other was. So, that's the contrast shot. That fancy material will be up on the porthole panel there, so we'll be
seeing what that looks like soon. It could work.
Friday, October 8, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
The four pictures from inside the boat I posted yesterday are the first pictures on the site from the new camera Brian sent me.

I'm pretty darned excited about getting the interior done. It is also inspiring me to throw away more stuff. Such a handsome boat
does not deserve clutter - or ratty clothes or bedding. Or trivial books, or a lot of other crap, for that matter. It deserves to be neat.

I will be starting on the opposite end of the main saloon.
I used up the rest of the Spackle on the forward saloon bulkhead
and took a walk to Home Depot for another quart while it dried. I
also picked up some Kilz 2 latex primer to prime the AC outlet
panels so I can roll a coat of the light brown on them. I'm going to
do them all now, cut to shape or not, to make the job a little
easier. I can touch up some edges if I have to, but I don't think I

I discovered that the Porter Cable round palm sander has an
excellent dust collection and removal system incorporated and all
I had to do was slip on the 10 foot hose I have, stick it out a
porthole, and the vast majority of the dust blew away outside the
boat! Awesome.

By now, on the second wall, I have learned the true secrets of
making it go faster. 1) Work harder. 2) Don't stop to catch your
breath, you can't, you're too old and it runs away too fast.
3) Rest breaks only make it harder to get started again - spare yourself the misery.

The forward bulkhead looks so much better that the aft - the one I did first - that after touching up the forward one with Spackle
for its second coat of paint, I went back to the first and gave it another course of paste as well. It's 2:30 and I should get some
primer on those panels (planks, really) so that project will move forward also.

The solar panels are pushing 14.6 volts at the batteries, meaning, I think, that they have reached full charge.
I managed to get 2 coats of Kilz2 and two coats of the light brown on the AC panels. I think they look great. I also sanded both
walls and painted them both again, and kept going back and forth touching up until I couldn't find any more light or dark spots
where the panels behind were showing through. I took the new pictures below to prove you ABSOLUTELY can not tell the
difference from the photographs before I did all this work, but you can sure tell when standing in the saloon. It's really starting to
look good.
Saturday, October 9, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
I may take an early walk to Home Depot to look at wall plates for the outlets and moldings, to get more ideas. I didn't take as
much to look at either item when I was there with Valentina - I didn't want to hold her up - and I just plain forgot yesterday. I am
about ready to finish installing the Vinyl headliner over the bunk and desk, and the material on the porthole bulkheads. Just how
I go about installing these things will depend on what molding I'll be using. I will also need something to use to hide a few wires
around the boat - the speaker wires, the mainmast wires, and probably something else.

I met Marty on the way in and he dropped me at Home Depot on his way to run an errand. I looked at a lot of stuff and priced
things and found my first choice for molding was the right choice. I picked up 6 eight footers for $13 and change. The wall plates
I was looking for were not available in Home Depot, so I was going to go to KMart. Unfortunately, the clear blue sky I'd left the
boat wide open under was now horizon to horizon clouds. Paying strict attention to Murphy's Law, I knew it would pour like
Noah's flood if I didn't get back and seal up the boat, so I did. I dropped off the moldings as well and went back ashore. This time
I walked to KMart and found the same plastic wall plates they wanted $3 each for in Home Depot for 89 cents each. I bought 12
for something like $11.35, then went over to McDonald's and blew $3.23 on lunch.
I got the first side of the under deck headliner up, over my bunk. It was the hardest, for sure, because I started it all wrong and
had to try about three methods before I got it up right and tight.

I'm presently sanding and prepping the wall plates, speakers and porthole dresser frames for paint.
I got the wall plates and speaker screens sanded, cleaned and painted,
then the new moldings and speaker trim rings all painted with the
brown. Then I opened up the cloth I THOUGHT was pretty brown. I
haven't really looked at it for at least a year. What a shock. It looks red.
It is all fuzzy and shiny and exactly what you'd expect to find in a
French Cathouse in the sixties. I like it, but I'm no longer confident
how good it will look with the rest of the inside of the boat done in
professionally matched colors.
I am presently out of options and must install the stuff. The truth will show when I'm done and I will just head out later on (up
in Cortez or St Pete) to a fabric shop with my Behr paint color chips and get a different cloth. I've come this far, I'll make it to the
finish line the way I want to.
Sunday, October 10, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
I don't think I'll be able to complete as much on the boat as I'd like to prior to departure, so I'm going to have to find a 'stop
painting' point and get to a 'start wiring' point. In between will be the 'fix the plumbing' day. Which might take 2 days and 1 new
I saved these plastic trim rings ever since I got the portholes back in 1995. I knew they were cheap junk, but always thought I
might have to use them in a pinch, so I'd better hold onto them. I moved them at least 100 times during these years and never
realized until today there was something special about them. They had green corrosion on them. I pulled the cruddy things out
from under one of the cockpit seats and they were covered with spots of green corrosion as if they were copper. I started by
removing the webbing in the center - I couldn't imagine what it was for, trimmed off the connector ring and used a Dremel to
trim up the flash. Then I sanded them with 220 grit paper and got a shock.

The shiny chrome like finish is really chrome! I was sanding through it on the corners and exposing the copper baseplate.
Unbelievable. How do you chrome plastic? Anyway, that explains the complex web that had to be removed - it was for support
and connection in the chrome tank. Glad I saved them.

Once sanded, I applied a smooth coat of Kilz 2 with a small foam brush. It took an hour to do them all and then I could start with
the first coat of Sand Castle, the Behr name of the color.
For as long as I have had the portholes mounted in the boat, I have known that I would have to open up and 'tune' the inside of
the openings so the trim rings could fit. I have to take each porthole apart, and grind, sand and Dremel away a little at a time
until the fragile trim rings fit properly, with cramming or hitting. So far, I have two done.

Donny called and we talked for a while and caught up. He hopes they will be leaving Alva on thee 11th of December. I hope to be
able to catch up with them somewhere, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to get my sail out of Calvert sails quite that quick. It could
be very busy for them then. I could be delayed another month or more.

I got another - the last, I think - coat of Sand Castle on the porthole trim rings and they look great. It was a heavy coat and took
some time. I also had to wait a bit for them to be dry enough for to handle so I move them off the bunk, so I made supper and ate.
Monday, October 11, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
I went to bed at 8 PM last night and never woke up until 6:35 this morning. Must have been tired. I did work a lot yesterday, but
it wasn't particularly hard work. I seem to be having great difficulty spelling words this morning. I can't get through a sentence
without having to correct one - or several.

As soon as there is enough light I'll continue with the trimming of the porthole penetrations to fit the trim rings. I will also have
another coat of paint to apply to the moldings - probably after cutting and before installing them. I didn't prime them as it was
my understanding that they did not require it, but I might have been wrong. I think too much white shows through. They have to
match the compression post.

I trimmed the headliner over the berth last evening while watching a movie, so that area is also ready for molding. As soon as I
trim out the last porthole over the bunk, I'm going to install the cloth there and finish up that whole side. I really can't wait to see
how it looks. It will either be 'just fine', 'okay for now', or 'Dammit! Gimme a can of spray paint!' Can't wait to see which.
I started by cutting a little less than a foot off the end of one of the pieces of molding and using it as a guide to mark the ends of
the teaks strips on the overhead. Each one of them needed to get its outboard end clipped. Huge pain in the ass to do it on padded
material without harming the stuff. It took quite a while to get them done. Then I cut 1/2 inch off the long piece of the same
molding to fit the space, end to end. Oh, I forgot, I had to open up the last porthole penetration to fit the trim ring first.

Next, I put up the material. This went much easier than any of the other material applications so far.
It's back to looking brown again. I am not appalled, which is good, or even mildly horrified, which is better. I think it will do just
fine and I like it.

I felt the portholes through the cloth, positioned the aluminum security rings and installed the screws one at a time. Then, with a
new Exacto blade, trimmed the material from the center, installed the trim rings and Bob's your uncle.
I still have 6 pieces of the molding to install, But I will cut and paint them once more and install them sometime today.
Meanwhile, it's time for me to have something to eat. Oh, yes, and the color of the material is more like the right hand picture
above. I have tried a number of different settings and the light pouring in through the portholes is definitely effecting the tint. It
is brown and I will try more pictures tonight after dark, with the flash.
Okay, there you have it. I have finally figured it out. The material, look at it. Two pictures - one in sunlight and one in the front
area with a flash. The material is way cool and I like it. Finally! Something on the boat that does something besides just sit there.

This day was harder than I thought it would be and I'm a little played out. Tomorrow will be worse because I have to take the
whole computer apart and put it on the bunk for the day. Don't be surprised if I only post once in the morning and once at night.

I'm going to start compiling a list of places to go and things to get on the first of the month. It might serve me well to arrange for
a car and driver. Or I'll have to find a way to eliminate one destination, like West Marine, for example. It's a mile each way in the
wrong direction. Or, if I can stop spending right now, I can have enough money to get the oarlocks the day before, and save
myself that walk on the first. We'll see how it goes.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
I have to say, I love the finished look inside the boat. If nothing else, I can at least get all the material up and get the trim
installed on the desk side. It's just so freakin' civilized having actual finish inside my burrow.
The first thing I did was clear off the deck and clean it. There were a number of jobs that all had to be done in sequence and the
first one, I thought, was to get the vinyl up. With the desk cleared off, it was a little easier than the same piece over the bunk. I
wasted no time trimming the vinyl and then trimmed the ends off all the wooden strips on the overhead so the molding would fit
in there. Next thing that had to be done was opening up the porthole penetrations to fit the trim rings. As soon as that was done,
I cleaned up some of the mess and installed the cloth material. Then the aluminum porthole security rings, cut out the cloth in
the middle with an Exacto knife, and installed the trim rings.
So, there you have it. Todays finish line. I still have to install the moldings, but that's for tomorrow. Oh, and I also ran the engine
for an hour today. Had to - lots of power tools running and zero sunshine. I'm a mite wore down, I have to admit, but it was a
good progress day all in all.
Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
I got all the molding up around the second side and am now preparing to screw down the edges of the cabin sole and
fiberglass it all down. Sometime during the day I'll open the paint cans and do a little touch-up here and there. I'm about ready to
start screwing down the floorboards, but I still have a few odds and ends to take care of.

I got the entire port side of the cabin sole screwed down securely, adding extra screws adjacent to the pedestal for the desk chair.
The starboard side is under the bunk and will be a bit harder due to that, but easier due to the lack of the pedestal situation, so
about the same.
Thursday, October 14, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
Now that I have the desk side coming together pretty good, it's time to begin designing the other elements of the desk. Most of
the equipment on top of the desk will be moved beneath it in carefully engineered compartments taking cooling, ease of access
and cable routing into consideration.

There will be nothing left on the desktop other than the monitors. The keyboard and mouse will be on a panel beneath mounted
on drawer slides, as will the computer. The computers sound output will be channelled through a 4 channel amplifier to the 4
cabin speakers. Everything will be mounted securely on heavy duty, rolling, easy-close drawer sliders and will lock when closed
or opened.
Friday, October 15, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
I started the engine at 6 AM and it's humming away. The long run yesterday seems to have cleaned it out a little and it's running
better than before. When I get the oil and filter for it, I'll also get a container of 'Fuel Pump & Injector Cleaner and see if that
helps on the way North. There is a weird glitch in the RPM band where it runs at 1500 rpm, and the slightest advancement of the
throttle brings it to 2000. A tiny tap back drops it to 1500 again. I think one of the injectors may be dirty. It only does it when not
under load. While under load, moving the boat, that glitch doesn't exist, so I don't know.
I will need to get some laundry done today and toss out some
trash and old paint I no longer want. There is no real way to
store paint cans on a boat that prevents them from rusting and
rusty cans have a way of leaking through the bottom. I just
can't have it any more. If I have no immediate need for paints
or solvents, I must now get rid of them. The same for epoxies,
thinners and catalysts.

I went in and did mass laundry - bedding included, hot
weather, you know - watched a little golf and took a hot
shower. Cleaning is frustrating because nothing ever stays
clean. Bright sunlight all day and a nice breeze blowing
through the boat.

Part 1: Go through the 7 Mile Bridge Pass in the afternoon and
anchor on the North side of Vaca Key (Marathon's island
name) close in to shore to get some shelter, then leave for
Little Shark River at first light. Hopefully with an Easterly
breeze so I can sail.
Saturday, October 16, 2010 - Moored In
Marathon, Florida Keys
The sunrise this morning was okay for a practically clear sky.
Most of the day has been sunny with only brief periods of
cloudiness. I got busy, first touching up a bunch of little things
that have been waiting, then caulking the back edge of the desk
and all the little injuries on the surface.

From there I went to work under the bunk where I found a
familiar piece of plywood I had forgotten all about. The fuzzy
picture in below, but if you go to Building Falcon 1 and go down
about 1/4 of the page to the shot in the snow of the two 12 foot
doors I built for the front of the shed, I think you'll recognize
where the plywood to build the bunk came from.

There's always something on this boat that brings me back to the
I primed the desk and wall and installed all the speakerswhile they dried, then put a coat of Sand Castle on the wall and Patio
Green on the desk.

The paint on the desktop is till a bit tacky - or something - so I'm being careful and want to let it dry hard before applying a
second coat. I think it looks great.

Before I painted the desk, I got the entire edges of the cabin sole epoxied and faired. THAT'S RIGHT!! All my fiberglass was in a
bag in the cockpit and it was soaking wet, so I had to hang it all over the boat like Joe Shit the Rag Man's laundry, then go out
later - when it was dry - and roll and fold it all up and stow it below. Tomorrow I'll have to apply the fiberglass tabbing to the
cabin sole edges and when it cures, then I'll prep and prime the sole and apply the first coat of green. Maybe I should do one side
at a time so I can give it a full day to dry between coats and not have to walk on it in between. I like the green - I really, really like
the green.
Sunday, October 17, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
The desk is drying very slowly so I'm going to do the fiberglassing and move to another area in the boat to work. The
temperatures here have dropped and the paint needs more time to harden up nicely. There's plenty of other work that needs
doing, and work that will enable me to use materials that are underfoot. The more crap I can get out of the boat, the better.
I have been using cheap plastic garden chairs on a piece of plywood as my only place to sit it the boat. The plywood went when
the cabin sole went in and yesterday, the plastic chair and it's odd foam cushion also landed in the dinghy, headed for the
dumpster. As soon as I can finish the various storage areas in the boat, I should be able to have clear, clean floors and counter
tops. I will need to design and construct the bookshelves and small storage lockers for each side of the boat as well. One behind
the desk and the other behind the berth. I have some ideas and will get to them as soon as I can afford the materials. That should
happen pretty soon now. The batteries were a bit pricey for my budget. Next month should be a pretty good month, and from
then on. I have the power to work in the anchorages on the way, so all I'll need is to have the supplies and materials on board.

I didn't get a lot done on any specific project today, but I did make serious headway in both beginning and planning several
projects. I couldn't apply the biaxial fabmat to the edges of the sole prior to burning the old epoxy off the layup air rollers, so I got
that done. A completely perplexing problem of finishing the most forward inner laminations of the cabin sides has been attacked
and well started, and I will try to complete it tomorrow. I have also started cutting and installing the overhead edge partners that
provide stapling surfaces for the headliner. Once they are completed - also tomorrow, I hope - I can install the very last of the
overhead insulation.

Next will be the completion of the headliner throughout the boat and the material to the cabin sides. Then the last of the
molding, which I already have. Tomorrow I will also (for sure) get the fiberglass down so the cabin sole can be painted. I have a
plan that I'm sure will work. More on that later.
Monday, October 18, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
I have to get some of these jobs finished to be able to move on. I have 2 weeks left here and that should be way more than
enough time. I am determined to have clear floors and bunk and counter tops by the time I leave. I don't want to still be climbing
over stuff. I realize that I will be buying a ton of  supplies just before I leave and most of that will be either in need of storage
space, or materials to build storage space, but I need to get a leg up on that whole situation before I go out and get the boat all
tossed around. As I sit here and write, I'm looking around and getting the ideas I need to accomplish these storage solutions. It's
all starting to make very good sense to me now. I'll need to add more items to the Home Depot supply list.
Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - Moored In
Marathon, Florida Keys
This paint seems to be taking forever to dry. While it leaves no
marks, everything on the desk still sticks. I suppose that's good
if you want a 'non-slip' surface, but I'd prefer something you
can wipe the dust off. I'm sure it will harden up eventually.

10:40 AM and the last of the stapling battens are installed
forward. I'll get the insulation up next, then the headliner. The
dust IS wiping right off the desk now, so the paint is firming up
nicely. The boat is a mess. I will clean up later on and take
some pictures then. It's just too much of a disaster right now.

2:00 PM and all the forward insulation is up and taped. I am
just moments away from stapling up headliner forward and aft.
I took a few minutes to slightly open the doorway into the head
Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
Time to separate and toss out more things today. I have a big bag of cloth - fragments left over from the sewing of the sail covers,
plus other pieces - and I need to go through it and bag it and get it to the dumpster. There are nice bolts of cloth that I realize I
will never use for anything, so it's time to put them where they were headed when I intercepted them.

I may be a lot closer to that 'stop' point than I thought. I can always pick up where I left off, but if I allow this electrical work to
wait much longer, I may be jambed up trying to get some 'simple' systems on line. Especially if I have to work up the masts. That
will be a lot easier here than in unprotected waters somewhere. And I have to connect and test the anchor windlass before
leaving. It is too important to leave until the last minute. I want to get the interior fabrics in place so those rolls are no longer
underfoot, and it will not be a problem to get the finish moldings painted during the next few days, then stowed forward in a safe

9 AM and the engine is running. A lot of cloud cover today seems to indicate the need. Also, the low voltage. I couldn't sleep last
night and stayed up until about 2 AM watching 'Abyss', the special long edition. It gets tedious. As a result, I need to pump up the
voltage volume a bit early on.

Engine off. Only ran it for about 40 minutes. Nice to have a 130 amp alternator. I remembered the thin teak strips waiting to be
installed on the overhead while I was sorting out material in the cockpit. Not so much 'remembered' as 'had to move them for the
umpteenth time'. Those will be installed so that material no longer has to be stepped over.

I went ashore and threw out two big bags of trash and three small plywood panels that were de-laminating. Then to Home Depot
and got prices on a lot of stuff, modifying the details of some of my plans to accommodate the materials I thought looked best.
From there I went up the cabinet maker's shop for sawdust, but he said he used so much starboard that the sawdust would be to
hard to separate. I went on to Publix and found items I hadn't ever purchased before and priced a lot of stuff. I also asked Jason,
the guy who scraped my boat, how much a cab would cost from Publix. He said about $5, which works for me and will save me a
bunch of walking.

I returned to Home Depot and asked them about a delivery to the marina. $49. I will have to get help from the guy with the van
and limit my load with him, not to overdo it, then make one or two trips myself, on foot with the little cart. Fight the battles you
can win.

It looks like something over $200 at Home Depot, about $200 at Publix, under $100 at West Marine, and I'm guessing around
$50 at Napa Auto parts. Add to that the phone bill for this month I'm not going to pay until the 1st, and you get $660. It may be
higher, but hope to keep it under $700. On the 12th of November I'll have another phone bill due and will have plenty left to take
care of that. Oh, rats, that's right - $50 in diesel fuel.
While at Home Depot, I got handed from one guy to another
after asking if I could have a little sawdust from one of the
panel cutting dust collection systems. I got permission, and
had the foresight to have a small, new trash bag in my pocket.

As soon as I got back to the boat, I sifted the whole bunch
through a screen type kitchen colander, Then sifted it again
through no-see-um screening. I ended up with 2 bags of
coarse filler and one bag of fine. It'll work perfectly. I would
call that a lifetime supply, figuring about how much more of
this work I'll ever do after finishing this project.

The Outback and Autohelm were removed and the headliner
in the aft cabin finished. I will fit the trim rings for the
portholes and smooth the cabin sides, then install the cabin
side material before staring with the moldings. Once I get
started back there with the big sander and grinder, the whole
inside of the boat is going to be a mess again, but there's no
other way. I'll do what I can with drop cloths and towels and
just clean up again afterwards.

I got the first coat of light brown - okay, 'Hiking Trail' - on the 7 new moldings I bought about a week ago. I'll get the second coat
on tomorrow, first thing (if it's not raining) and then get the aft cabin sides and portholes prepped and ready. I have no idea if
there is some directionality in this flocked material, but I'm not going to find out by crossing it up on the second cabin. I have to
lay it in the same as the first cabin or risk noticing something later on that I can't see now.
Thursday, October 21, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
There will be plenty to do while waiting for the paint to dry. The sky is clear and dry and the cooler temps mean good working
conditions. I have to get the forward cabinsides epoxied and filled, the cabin sole edges epoxied, fiberglassed and filled, the aft
bulkheads ground and sanded and the last two portholes opened up. I guess I should put off painting the desk for today - too
much dust flying around. I'm going to have to do some grinding forward, too. And sanding of the filled and painted bulkheads.

9:15 AM and the molding is painted - I'm not quite sure if this will be the last coat - the portholes are opened up and I'm about to
start grinding and sanding the aft cabin in preparation for material and paint. Once I start the grinding, I'll probably move
forward as well.
I just did a little looking around. The grinding isn't done. I
have to do some more. There's nothing to do but get it done.
I'll put on a new disc and it will go fast.

The moldings will need one more coat and I'll do that around
1 PM to let them dry the full 4 hours the can recommends.
I'm running the engine while grinding because the big unit is
such a power hog. Besides, I can't listen to music while
running power tools anyway.

1 PM and I'm having lunch. All the grinding and sanding is
now completed (for this stage) and I made a special hand
hold for the bulkhead over the new position for the stove.
It's not that I really needed a hand hold there, it's more that
I had to come up with some way to protect myself, or
someone else, from a serious injury in the event of a fall
against the 2 nasty screws that hold the TV up in the other
cabin. I couldn't cut them off because - - - never mind. Just
take for granted that I couldn't cut them off. I made the.
handle out of the old mount for the secondary large bilge pump that held it to the bottom of the now defunct battery rack. The
nuts are starboard. They only took a few minutes to make and protect hands from the raggedy self tapping screw-bolts. I may be
doing some unscheduled painting today, just because it will be easier than some of the other jobs waiting in the wings, and it has
to be done anyway.
Saturday, October 23, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
It's 4:30 now. I got a second coat of paint on the moldings and they look good. The aft cabin got a bunch more sanding and
smoothing, then I primed the beams surrounding the companionway, including the large laminated beam that heads it. I got a
call from Matt and talked for about an hour. I love hearing from my kids, so that was a good break.

Next I went nuts with the Spackle, from rear to front. All of this will need sanding tomorrow, then paint. Believe it or not, I'm a
tad wore down. The entire cabin is a disaster area and I'm not perky enough clean it up. I may just sweep the bunk clear and step
over the crap on the floor until tomorrow. We'll see how I feel after eating and resting a little. My bet is, I'll clean the place
up so I don't have to do it in the morning. If I don't get back on, I'll see you tomorrow.
Friday, October 22, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
To the right is a shot of the paint forward. I
started right off on getting that second coat on
the forward bulkhead, then just kept going,
re-coating everything in the boat that needed
it and putting the first coats on several areas
that had not yet been done. I am almost out of
Sand Castle and will need to get another gallon
of that as well as another quart of Hiking Trail.
I know you find my using the Behr names for
these colors annoying - imagine how I feel
having to memorize them so I'll know what to
order when I replace them. At least the sole
color is only called Patio Green and not some
other ridiculous name thought up by a
management clone. I would prefer a nice
technical name like a Robot would have, like

As the inside of the boat gets closer to being
finished, the last glaring job, enclosing the
engine, looms large.

I'm going to have to rethink my materials
strategy at Home Depot for the beginning of
the month. I may need to think purely of
storage concerns on board and only get those
materials relevant to getting those areas built.
It is only by getting all the loose stuff inside
the boat secured and put away that the rest of
the projects get reasonable to address. As I
look around me, there simply isn't THAT
much stuff here. Once it is all stored, the boat
will look sweet, and I will have learned my last
lesson in the economy of possessions. I will
never again collect materials for any project
that I do not intend to use that day, or within a
few days - you get the picture. Stop hoarding
'possibles' and only get 'for sures'.
Making so much progress inside the boat that I look forward to getting started today. I think it will be a big painting day, and
some epoxy work. I will also pull the water manifolds - both of them - and put the fix on them while I paint the walls they are
mounted on. The tank selector manifold works great, but has an extra port for a watermaker. I might as well remove the hose,
but leave the valve, since I have no present plans to install a watermaker. The brass manifold just needs to be tightened.
I did all the updates and modifications I had waiting for the water system and it is now all re-installed and connected. Pretty soon
I'll run it and test it for leaks.
Part 2: Make sure my autopilot works BEFORE taking off, or I'll be hand steering all the way.

Part 3: Do I want to borrow one of his chips for the 182C? Yes - - -. He'll send me one and I can give it back when we meet up

Part 4: Once I paint the floor green, all I'll need is a chrome pole and the girls will start stripping as soon as they come aboard.
(Am currently scanning EBay for a stripper pole.) Yes, it's true, the material is a bit 'not boat', but so am I and the more I see it,
the easier it is to not dislike it.

I have decided to find an accurate digital voltmeter to incorporate in the desk somewhere so I can keep tabs on the voltage
situation. I will find a solution to this power problem sooner or later.
so the teak door could swing to the doorway, and through it to close off the entire front of the boat. Yes, of course, I built it like
that when I installed the door. I don't know what use it will be, but I'm willing to work on it. In order to effectively close off the
front of the boat so I don't have to heat everything in cold weather, I will have to install something in the opening between the
computer desk and the galley sink areas. I'm thinking about a 'one-way' mirror that will let light into the forward area and make
the main saloon look bigger by reflection. We'll see.

4 PM and I give. Well, almost. I'll still clean up, but that's it. I got the headliner up in the aft cabin - except that I have to take
down the Outback Controller and the ST6000 Autopilot Computer. I'll do that tomorrow and complete stapling the headliner. I
should probably get going on the filling and priming/painting in both the forward and aft areas as well. I will have to get to a
proper 'stop' point on these projects and get busy on the electrical connections. Most of the basics are pretty straight forward
without any more thought required. I will start by finalizing the DC supply to the electrical panel, then just start blasting
connections together. The AC will be a bit more bothersome, but I don't need that to leave.
Sunday, October 24, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
I awoke at 4:30, bright-eyed and ready to go. Perhaps much to the dismay of my neighbors, I started the engine at 4:45 AM and
will keep it running until I can't stand it any more. I'm thinking about 6 or 6:30. It's 5:10 right now. I haven't run it for days and
have done all right, using mass power tools and computer time, but the batteries were a tad shy last evening when I started it up
and I think they need a good perking up. I was only able to let them charge for about 15 minutes, and that just isn't enough after
some fairly cloudy days.

I'm anxious to get going today because I think I am nearing the much sought after 'stop' point that has so far eluded me. I will
definitely run out of paint today, maybe both colors, and I'd love to get a coat of green on the sole of the forward areas. I should
also check the battery water.

Getting the aft cabin covered with material and getting the last areas primed and ready to finish will put me squarely into the
electrical system, and I can't wait to be there. I am SO freaking ready to turn things on with switches instead of holding bare
wires together. By the way, there are tiny leaks in that brass water manifold. They don't drip, but after an hour with pressure on,
little drops show themselves under a couple of joints. I just remembered - I have to get the edge of the sole beneath the bunk
fiberglassed in, today. I should do both sides, I guess. Well, there you go, I have a full day already.

I may have to take a break as well. I got to bed late and woke up early and I'm not sure how my energy will hold up during the
day. I just turned the engine off at 5:30. I have enough power for now and I thought I'd give the neighbors a break, just in case
they're not still drunk enough to sleep through the noise this early in the morning.

8:30 AM and I just shut the engine off again. I started it at 7:15 and let it run while I stapled up part of the aft headliner and used
up the rest of the Sand Castle paint. Some time after noon I'll do more with the Hiking Trail and maybe use up the last of that.
The port side is done and the material is up on the starboard side, as well as the porthole being installed and finished. I have to
paint the cement board that I put over the cooktop and apply the moldings, then I can install the final teak strips to the overhead.

I talked with the guy who's going to give me a ride from Home Depot with 2 4 x 8 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood on the first. He
likes the idea of me walking down and getting the stuff, then have it waiting outside when he gets off work at 3 PM.
Monday, October 25, 2010 - Moored In Marathon, Florida Keys
As far as the triangular braces, I discovered that I can just stuff the extra material up over them for right now, as long as the
edges and back are secured properly. I'll come up with a final fix later.

I'm going to begin today with some painting and cleaning up, then get right to the epoxy and fiberglass projects. The teak door to
the head has too many injuries - one that is impossible to fix in a manner that could make the door a good varnish candidate - so
it gets sanded, primed and painted on both sides. I also have a partial gallon of Behr bright white which I will use to coat areas
within the storage bins. It is a way to brighten these areas underneath, and make use of the paint so I can dispose of the can. I'll
even paint the underside of the bunk and the desk.

It seems a shame to move the cooktop out from under the cement board I took the trouble to install, but now, that too can be
painted white and later on, who knows, the cooktop might be moved back to it's present spot. I will very soon be working out
acceptable ways to enclose the engine room to help quiet down the noise inside the boat, though I did notice something
yesterday that surprised me. While the engine was running, I went to use the head and while in there I noticed the engine
sounded incredibly loud and as though it was drumming through the hull. I don't get it. I wonder if this is the effect on the hulls
of other boats around me when my engine is running. I hope not. The engine does like to be run more often than I had been
doing, however, and sounds much better than it had when I first started running it again.
I started with the teak strips in the aft cabin and got that done first,
then went to painting the forward compression post Hiking Trail. I
also trimmed the excess material around the spigot for the overhead
hatch and tried a piece of the thin, flat plastic molding in there to see
if I could curve it enough to make a nice finish to the spot. It can. But
the remnant I tried is not long enough to complete the job with only
one seam. I'll need a full piece. The same material will also work to
trim out the door and window openings inside the boat.

I have fixed the special jamb the head door hangs on. It was very
curved and I pulled it off, cleaned it up, and reattached it with 7
screws instead of just 2. The way I was going to attach the door was
just to use long screws and hence, attach both items at once, but the
curvature of the jamb was just too severe to pull out that way. Now, I
can get away with regular screws to hang the door.

I have started cleaning up and getting ready to epoxy. It's not a good
job and I'm not fond of it, but I have to get it out of the way.

The headliner is up in the forward galley. I have decided that I can
only do one side of the cabin sole fiberglassing at a  time. I have to
get the under-bunk stowage locker ready to use and stuff it full of
crap so I have enough space to do the other side.
The interior IS coming along. I got the fiberglassing done
under the bunk and will do the other side later on. I also
managed to get a lot more done on the boat, on the whole,
and it's only 4:34 PM. I'm going to watch some more Lord
of the Rings and see what else I can do tonight.

Two freaking rain clouds in the whole state and they're
both doing a slow pass over Boot Key Harbor. What luck,
huh? Not enough serious rain to wash down the deck or
fill the dinghy, just enough to make sure the hatch can't
be opened.

The uplink glitched on me and barfed up this entire site,
so I have load the whole thing again. I'm running the
engine now because the combination of rain and an hour
of computer with no sun demands it.